Fancy a spot of baking this weekend but can’t get your hands on any flour? Fear not.
You can still whip up a wide range of delicious treats, simply by using the breakfast cereals you have in the cupboard at home!
Demand for flour has increased significantly during the Covid-19 lockdown, as more people take up baking at home.
And while the industry has doubled production, it is still struggling to meet demand.
But did you know that with just a few simple steps, you can turn breakfast cereals into a flour substitute that’s great for making everything from cookies to cheesecakes?
- Preparation Time
- 15 min
- Cooking Time
- 15 min
- Cooling Time
- 40 min
- Skill Level
- Serving Size
- 70 ml rapeseed oil
- 175 g Shredded Wheat, blended in a food processor to make flour.
- 1.5 teaspoon Baking powder
- 50 g Almonds
- 2 Lemons Zest
- 120 g Caster Sugar
- 50 g Lemon Curd
- 2 Eggs
- 225 g Greek Yoghurt (0% fat)
- 100 ml water
- 2 juice of lemons
- 100 g Caster Sugar
- 50 g Semolina (optional)
1. Pre-heat oven to 160C fan.
2. Grease and line a non-stick loaf tin.
3. Put the Shredded Wheat flour, baking powder, ground almonds and semolina into a large mixing bowl. Add the lemon zest and sugar. Beat the eggs with the yogurt. Add the oil then combine with the dry ingredients.
4. Spoon half the mixture into the tin, make a small channel with the back of a spoon and pipe in the lemon curd. Not to the end though. Top off with the remaining cake mixture and smooth out. 5. Bake for approx. 40 mins
6. For the syrup, place the sugar into a small saucepan with the lemon juice and water. Heat over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, to dissolve the sugar. Raise the heat and bring to the boil. Boil until slightly reduced and becomes like a syrup.
7. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it cool slightly in the tin.
8. With a skewer make lots of small holes over the top of the cake and pour over the syrup.
9. Transfer to a cooling wire, pouring any syrup left in the base of the tin, over the top. Allow to cool completely
10. Enjoy :)