Fancy a twist on a hot cross bun and banana bread this Easter? Try this Shredded Wheat Simnel loaf. Yum!
- Preparation Time
- 10 min
- Cooking Time
- 50 min
- Cooling Time
- 45 min
- Skill Level
- Serving Size
- 4 Shredded Wheat Big Biscuit
- 200 ml skimmed milk
- 2 Overripe banana, mashed
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 80 g sultanas
- 30 g mixed peel
- 75 g white chocolate to decorate
- g packet of Smarties Mini Eggs, optiona
- loaf tin, lined with baking paper
- Preheat your oven to 200°C, (180°C for fan ovens), gas mark 6.
- Crumble the Shredded Wheat into a large bowl and pour over the milk. Leave this to soak for a few minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the loaf to the bowl and stir together until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and place in the oven for 45-50 minutes. Check it’s ready by inserting a knife and seeing if it comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out to cool on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Put the white chocolate into a glass bowl and melt it over a pan of boiling water. Remove the bowl from the pan and leave the white chocolate to cool and slightly thicken for five minutes. Using a spoon, drizzle the white chocolate over the loaf. Decorate the top with Smarties Mini Eggs.
- When the chocolate has set, you can slice and serve.