How to make our cereals at home
Bake your own Chocapic breakfast cereal
Making CHOCAPIC® is actually so simple, you can do it from home with ingredients from your local supermarket.
- Preparation Time
- 30 min
- Cooking Time
- 25 min
- Skill Level
- Serving Size
|For the chocolate petals|
|70 g||Wholegrain wheat flour (dry ingredient)|
|2.5 tbsp||Corn starch (dry ingredient)|
|3 tsp||Cocoa (dry ingredient)|
|0.25 tsp||Sodium bicarbonate (dry ingredient)|
|50 ml||Water (wet ingredient)|
|1 tbsp||Sugar (wet ingredient)|
|0.5 tbsp||Oil (wet ingredient)|
|0.25 tsp||Salt (wet ingredient)|
|For the coating|
|2 tbsp||Boiling water|
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C.
- Weigh out the dry ingredients and sieve into a mixing bowl.
- In a mixing cup, measure the wet ingredients and stir until all solids are dissolved.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix, knead slightly to form a homogenous dough (do not over-mix as this will lead to less rise during baking and hard texture in finished product).
- Divide the dough into two balls, wrap in cling film and leave to rest in a fridge for 20 minutes (this allows the dough to relax and reduce shrinkage during rolling).
- Take the first dough ball out of the fridge, flatten into a disk and dust both sides with a little corn starch.
- Roll out the disk into a circle around 20cm in diameter (approximately 2mm thick), cut out as many petal shapes as possible using the cutter provide.
- Arrange cut petals around the edge of a baking tray to give a curved shape after baking.
- Repeat the same process for the second dough ball.
- Bake at 160°C for 10 minutes in a fan oven.
- Allow to cool after baking.
- Weigh 50 g of the baked chocolate petals, put aside for coating.
- Mix sugar, cocoa and vanilla together and remove any lumps, add the boiling water and stir until solids are fully dissolved, use immediately (if slurry has cooled down too much, microwave for a few seconds without boiling).
- Place 50g of the baked chocolate petals in a mixing bowl, drizzle 2 ½ teaspoon of the hot slurry, stir continuously with a spoon until all petals are coated thoroughly (minimum 1 minute).
- Spread coated petals on a baking tray lined with a sheet of non-stick paper and bake at 100°C for 15 minutes.
Allow to cool and store your home-baked CHOCAPIC® in an air tight container provided and bring with you to the Open Doors event.
- Weighing scale
- Measuring cup
- Mixing bowl for dough
- Mixing cup for slurry
- Baking tray
- Cling film
- Rolling pin (provided)
- Measuring spoons (provided)
- Petal-shaped cutter (provided)
- Non-stick baking paper (provided)
- Airtight container for finished product (provided)